|[Hawaiian Dictionary(Hwn to Eng)] |
1. n. Spring (of water). Cf. pūnāwai. Puna-hou (place), new spring. Wai puna, spring water. (PPN puna.)
2. n. Coral, lime, plaster, mortar, whitewash, calcium; coral container, as for dye, coral rubber. E lawe ʻoia i ka puna hou e hamo i ka hale (Oihk. 14.42), and he shall take new plaster and plaster the house. (PPN punga.)
3. n. Section between joints or nodes, as of bamboo or sugar cane.
4. n. Cuttlebone, as of octopus.
5. Short for kupuna as a term of address.
6. Short for punalua. hoʻo.puna Same as hoʻopunalua.
7. vi. To paddle with the hands, as to start a surfboard on its way to catch a wave. Rare.
8. n. Spoon (preceded by ke). Eng. Ke iho ihola ke puna, the spoon is let down [the lower lip, of a pouter].
Look up any word by double-clicking on it.
All dictionaries on this site are individually searchable, cover-to-cover, here.
A list of additional Hawaiian words, not yet available in Māmaka Kaiao, is available here.
Hawaiian Dictionary (Pukui/Elbert dictionary) Copyright © 2003 by University of Hawaiʻi Press,
Māmaka Kaiao Copyright © 2003 by ʻAha Pūnana Leo and Hale Kuamoʻo,
Place Names of Hawaiʻi (Pukui/Elbert/Mookini) Copyright © 1974, 2004 by University of Hawaiʻi Press,
and Hawaiʻi Place Names (John R.K. Clark) Copyright © 2002, 2004 by University of Hawaiʻi Press,
which are solely responsible for this product.
Computer Issues | More information